Apply for Exhibiting Membership
Each fall, the BSA Exhibiting Member Review Panel evaluates all current applicants for acceptance as an Exhibiting member.
About Exhibiting Membership
Exhibiting members receive a host of benefits, including:
- A customizable member profile for inclusion in our directory of exhibiting artists
- BSA “members only” emails and content, including exclusive artist opportunities
- Invitations to all BSA exhibition openings
- Discounts to BSA sponsored events (when applicable)
Additionally, Exhibiting members are eligible to:
- Submit artwork for inclusion in BSA Open Members Exhibitions and other non-juried shows
- Enter and compete in professionally juried exhibitions sponsored by BSA
- Receive BSA honors and awards
- Request a free portfolio review
- Vote for and/or serve on the BSA Board
- Serve as an elected member of the BSA Board of Directors
Annual Exhibiting membership dues are $45.
Exhibiting Artist member applicants must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A current resident of Western New York
- Not currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program related to the visual arts
How to Apply
To begin the application process, please pay the $20 application fee below. Once we receive your application fee, we will send you a link to complete our online application process and upload the required materials, including:
- A completed application artist’s resume
- A brief artist statement
- 9–13 pieces of artwork (.jpg) and/or video (.mp4)
This year’s application opens on September 5, 2023. The deadline for entry fees and completed applications is October 1, 2023.
Notification of Selection. You will be notified of your designation as an Exhibiting member via mail approximately one week after the annual review.
The BSA Exhibiting Member Review Panel is composed of seven individuals who may include artists, curators, gallerists, art educators, collectors, and others with experience in the visual arts. (Meet the current Exhibiting Member Review Panel.) Each fall, the panel evaluates all current applicants based on the following criteria:
- Artist Statement. Clearly and concisely describes the artist’s understanding of the “why” and “how” of their work.
- Relevance. The ideas, issues, and intentions expressed reflect thoughtful visual exploration, and the content and form effectively interface with contemporary culture.
- Innovation. The work demonstrates creative use of materials and technique, and/or the production of art in a new way.
- Perception. The work reveals an understanding of the organization of elements and principles of visual aesthetics (color, value, composition, design, etc.).
- Technical Facility. The work shows mastery in the use of chosen media, and represents a consistent and cohesive effort.
- Presentation. The work is appropriately and professionally framed and/or presented, and digital images accurately represent the work.
- ARTIST'S RESUME
- Exhibition History. The artist's resume indicates that the artist has exhibited their work, taking note of the number of exhibitions, venues, solo shows, and accomplished jurors, etc.
- Awards and Collections. The artist's resume indicates awards and honors received for the artist’s work, and any collections in which the artist’s work appears.
- Articles. The artist's resume has a list of printed articles and reviews about the artist’s work, or articles written. by the artist, taking note of the publications.
Jurying Review Process
On the annual jurying review date, applying artists must bring a selection of artwork before the jurying panel for an in-person evaluation as outlined below:
- Visual Artists. Bring three original works of art completed within the last 3 years, selected from those uploaded during the online application process. Each piece of art should be clearly labeled on the back with an artork number (1 through 3), title, medium, year executed, and the artist's name and phone number.
- Video Artists. During the application process, you will be prompted to upload an original video created within the last 3 years. Video files must be a maximum length of 10 minutes (up to 50MB).
2023 Application Deadline
ALL 2023 applicants must pay the $20 application fee and complete and upload required materials no later than October 1, 2023. Failure to meet all requirements will disqualify candidates from consideration.
2023 Exhibiting Member Jurying Review
Saturday, October 8, 2023
Our Lady of Hope Parish
246 Lafayette Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14213
- Drop off: 9:30 a.m.–10:15 a.m.
- Pick up: 12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
Neither the BSA nor the jurying site will be responsible for work not picked up by 1:00 p.m. Please be responsible for your artwork. If it is big or heavy, be sure to bring a friend to help you.
2023 Exhibiting Member Jurying Prospectus
To download the PDF of the Prospectus, click here.